THE HISTORY OF RIVER COUNTRY
St. Joseph derives its name from the river which bisects the county, named by La Salle for the patron saint of New Frances back in the 1600′s. The region was occupied in prehistoric times by the “Mound Builders”, and later, the Pottawatomie and Miami Tribes. The white settlers started their migration to this area after the opening of the Erie Canal in the early 1800′s. Pioneers were drawn to the area by the fertile prairie lands, which were well-suited for agriculture. The first settlements were established in Sturgis, Mottville and White Pigeon between 1826 and 1827. Logging helped improve the land for agriculture, and the first crop to be sown was wheat. Harvested crops were shipped via the St. Joseph River.
Many historic trails and river trails cross here. These trails were used for centuries by Native American tribes, by the French adventurer La Salle and the French trappers, and by the English. The Heritage Water Trail charts the course of these travelers along the St. Joseph and other rivers in the area.
Leopold Pokagon (1775-1841) was a Pottawatomie leader of the St. Joseph River Valley in Michigan. Leopold negotiated the 1832 Treaty of Tippecanoe in which land was sold to the whites, now known as Chicago. In 1833, Leopold negotiated the Treaty of Chicago which allowed the Pokagon band of Pottawatomie people to remain on their ancestral lands by abstaining from alcohol and following Catholicism. Almost all the other Pottawatomies were forced off their land by the federal government according to the Indian Removal Act of 1830. This tragic event and mass Exodus of these people is known in the history books as the ‘Trail of Death’. In 1841, with the assistance of the Michigan Supreme Court, Leopold was able to stop military attempts to remove the Catholic Pottawatomies from their land. Today, the Pokagon band of Pottawatomies is better known for their Four Winds Casino in New Buffalo, MI. The federally recognized Indian Nation, with their tribal headquarters in Dowagiac, has over 4,300 citizens.
ST. JOSEPH COUNTY
STATE and NATIONAL HISTORICAL REGISTERS
Art Gallery Building
156 S. Washington Street, Constantine MI
Langley Covered Bridge
Constructed in 1887, the bridge is the longest covered bridge in Michigan! Made of three spans totaling 282 feet and crosses the St. Joseph River three miles north of Centreville on Covered Bridge Road and Schweitzer Rd.
Camel Back Bridge
Built in 1922, this bridge has three identical 90 foot spans that total 270 feet. This is the longest Michigan example of a reinforced, concrete Camelback bridge. Today, the bridge is a pedestrian walkway crossing the St. Joseph River. The bridge is located along US-12 in downtown Mottville, MI.
Constantine Historic Commercial District
Washington St. between 2nd & Water and Water St. between White Pigeon and 125 W. Water Streets, Constantine MI
451 Farrand Road, Colon MI
Governor John S Barry House
280 N. Washington Street, Constantine MI
Leverett A and Amanda (Hampson) Clapp House
324 W. Main Street, Centreville MI
Simpson Road just south of Mendon MI
685 S. Washington Street, Constantine, MI
Nottawa Stone School
This school dates back to 1870 and was originally of frame construction. The building was later rebuilt with stone and was used as a public school until 1961. Today it is a museum that can be toured by appointment only.
26456 East M-86, Nottawa, MI 269-483-7122.
Old New York Central Railroad Depot
Built in 1893, today the site is home to the Sturgis Historical Society Museum and the Sturgis Chamber of Commerce. Tours are available by appointment.
200 West Main St, Sturgis, MI. 269-651-3990.
Prairie River Bridge
M-86, Nottawa, MI
This brick structure was built in the 1870’s by Arthur Silliman, an early pioneer to the area, who came to Three Rivers in 1847. The lower level of the building served as Silliman’s Blacksmith Shop and the second level was store. Near this site a Pottawatomie Indian trail crossed the St. Joseph River. The confluence of the St. Joseph, Portage and Rocky Rivers at this site, gave Three Rivers its name. 116 S. Main Street, Three Rivers, MI. Tours by appointment only.
St. Joseph County Courthouse
125 West Main Street, Centreville, MI
Historic Downtown Three Rivers
N. Main St., Michigan and Portage Avenues, Three Rivers MI
U.S. Government Land Office
This site was the third land office to be opened in the state of Michigan. It served St. Joseph County from 1831 – 1834. The building has been restored as a museum. Open weekends in the summer. 111 West Chicago Rd (US-12), White Pigeon, MI. 269-483-7122
Wahbememe Burial Site and Monument
Pottawatomie Chief White Pigeon (Wahbememe) was a signer of the 1796 Treaty of Greenville, which placed Michigan Great Lakes forts in U.S. hands. The chief was known as a friend to the white settlers in Michigan. According to legend, while attending a gathering of chiefs in Detroit, Wahbememe heard of a plot to attack the settlement that became known as White Pigeon. The story states that he immediately set out on foot, running nearly 150 miles across the state without stopping for food or rest to alert the village. After warning the settlement of the impending danger, he collapsed from exhaustion and soon died. His remains are buried on this site. Junction of US-12 and US-131, Mottville, MI.
St. Joseph County Historical Society
Open to all interested persons of all ages. Meetings are held each month at the historical museum, 113 E Main St, Centreville. Tours are available for the Nottawa Stone School by appointment. 269-483-7122 website
Sturgis Historical Society
200 W. Main St.
Sturgis, MI 49091